Thursday, January 21, 2010

pause, rewind, click

I promised myself I would watch the Golden Globe Awards telecast, live or recorded, it doesn’t matter. I screwed up my off duty so badly that I wasn’t able to view the show until Tuesday. By that time I knew most of the winners. I always peek at the news feed or movie endings anyway. As per usual forwarding the sky adverts and the boring portions helped expedite the process. I couldn’t decipher Meryl Streep’s speech. I’m disappointed Hugh Laurie did not win. But he has already won once before so I took it lightly. I did watch Michael C. Hall in Six Feet Under, so I don’t mind him winning for Dexter. I’m always a firm believer in Julianna Margulies, her win is well -deserved. Being congratulated by Clooney on the way to the stage was a nice sight. Doug and Carol forever. I know I sound like a deranged fan.

Ricky Gervais was great, not mincing with the flatteries. The deadpan sarcasms on plastic surgeries and genitals were hilarious. I can’t afford plastic surgery so I can still laugh at the jokes. Calling Jennifer Aniston, “Rachel of Friends,” should not be derogatory, she is Rachel of Friends, the sitcom is still shown on TV everyday. It was her main claim to fame, the basis of her appeal. I should have recorded this on HD. I want to see her micro-expression.

I couldn’t trace any scouser accent from Paul McCartney. But you can trace my Ilonggo accent every single time. To tell a McCartney joke in your face, with the Beatle in the room required a lot of balls. I live in a household where the Beatles are not the biggest band in history, where the jokes about Heather Mills are sharper than Gervais tongue.

In Mel Gibson's case, he could take a joke. He was caught with intoxicated, prejudicial messages on camera. That was a lesson. Never drink and drive, especially if you’re a celebrity. Or your innermost opinions are uploaded on You Tube. You’ll be valuable material for stand up comics. But have the courage to laugh at yourself. It’s a highly conservative universe. More so, if you’re an idiot, inebriated individual. I have my share of imbecilic drunkenness. I could still see the look of scorn and contempt on people's faces.

No comment on the Best Picture drama. But The Hangover resonates with the good and the pure. Sandra Bullock usually comes up with the frothy kind. Yes, even Miss Congeniality. This girl was in Demolition Man. But all thanks to Speed, she is a name above a title. I totally forgot to catch The Blind Side. But for your consideration, Gabby Sibide, Precious based on the novel Push by Sapphire.

No comments: