Wednesday, January 06, 2010

the flimsy frame

I spent my entire morning reading my eyes out on nonsensical issues regarding last night’s telly. Casually, after my usual fanfare with Friends, I tried to catch with the 90210 drift due to the fact that Tristan Wilds who starred as Michael Lee of The Wire is now Dixon Wilson of 90210. It left me perplexed as usual with the western way of living. So I’ve been existing in a cave my whole life? The teenage characters are still in their teens but has gone through drama that ordinary people would not even experience in a lifetime; rehab, teenage pregnancy, adoption, hit and run, infidelity, sext scandal, drug addiction, drug dealing, promiscuity, bipolar disorder, anger management, etc. And they’re still in high school. They should be engrossed with their grades and a few extra-curricular activities that would mold their talents and skills. But they’re rather keen on focusing their undivided attention with their puerile relationships. The young ladies of the show are also very thin in the same vein as Helen Gamble and Ally McBeal but those were token thin characters in their legal dramas.

Fine, I’m just an uptight bitch who grew up in a third world country where adolescent appurtenances are only distributed to the chosen few, that if you would not study you would surely not make a dent in society. I’m also mindful of the knowledge that television exaggerates plots and storylines and this is a soap, often unrealistic and only showcases the contoured faces and decolletage of the rich and privileged.

No comments: