Wednesday, January 06, 2010

graceful swan

Watching Audrey Hepburn on screen is heartwarming. I’ve seen three of her movies Sabrina, My Fair Lady and Roman Holiday (left). There were glimpses of Breakfast at Tiffany’s (1960). But I’m not really attached to Holly Golightly. The few scenes I saw in Wait Until Dark (1967) did not register properly in my radar.

I’m not a huge fan. But her movies are quite light and delightful. She wore amazing clothes, looked radiant in a long gown thus becoming the iconic figure of style and fashion. Her gamine features contributed to her slender frame. Even when she was older working for Unicef, she exuded quiet dignity. I like her performance in My Fair Lady (1964). Sabrina (1954) is pleasing with two legendary leading men in Bogart and William Holden. Roman Holiday (1954) is a bit of a bummer to be honest . Although it shows the trend and spirit of the times, when royalty was considered a sacred duty for crown and country, the events happened in the span of not more than 48 hours and the ending made me quench for a sequel. It would have been cool if a sequel was ever made, the image of Gregory Peck as Joe Bradley staring wistfully at the conference stage is stirring. Peck was of course, Atticus Finch, the lead character in the film version of my favorite book, To Kill a Mockingbird.

No comments: