Saturday, October 24, 2009

saving drafts

Ever since skimming through the picture pages of Mommie Dearest as a child, I kind of become fond of Joan Crawford. In fairness, I only looked at the pictures and by the time I was old enough to read the whole thing I couldn’t locate the book anymore. Her great rival Bette Davis may have had two more Oscars but I’m taking the side of the shoulder pads all the way. Both actresses had those expressive eyes and a body of work that was the envy of many a starlet. Still I couldn’t bring myself to sit through a Bette Davis movie. However I wouldn’t mind watching another Gable-Crawford starrer or the final act of Mildred Pierce.

As a topic amongst friends and colleagues, the filmography of Davis and Crawford are kind of like arcane, useless trivia. People are just mostly interested in the brewing competition amongst the clique. Money, jobs, education, children, children’s parties, houses, cars are the major bullet points in the meeting room and in facebook walls. Not altogether vacuous. Certainly not something to blow our pretty exhausted brains out. In the bigger picture we’re all unique. Some dwell on stuff that makes them happy like work, work and work, and teleserye storylines. While I linger in my potato couch comfort and excoriate the lovely strokes in the diary.

No comments: