Saturday, October 15, 2011

it's not math but maths

Americanisms. English English. What is the choice? Since my husband is English (just for emphasis, he doesn't like the word British, unless it's during the Olympics or Andy Murray wins the Grand Slam), do I prefer the English terms rather than my childhood Americanisms?  The subject of English as a language was discussed here and here.  It's a heated debate with a lot of bad blood.  The opinions depend on the country of affiliation.  The Philippines is into American pop-culture like it's the 52nd state in the Union.  We were a colony.  We are taught to breathe American air, spelling, grammar, intonation. But then Shakespeare rules  ( that only refers to me). The greatest writer in the English language is English.  Not American.

From my porch, all these jingoistic language debates don't really matter.  It's competition between two G8 nations.  It's Math in the Philippines (courtesy of our Hollywood connection).  It's Maths over here.  It's just the letter S.  Color.  Colour.  It's bewildering.  It's exasperating.  I like long words. 

No comments: