Thursday, August 12, 2010

sugary relish

Recent encounters with chocolate fudge sundaes in Sky movies has allowed myself to reminisce about periods in my not too long ago twenties. Fine, they were like a decade and so ago. Yes, I feel very ancient compared to today’s twenty-somethings. But the maturity and so-called wisdom acquired through the years of living off hardships, scrimping and sadness still allowed me to be a little bit optimistic.

I was a young graduate of 21, fresh off the board exams, when I first viewed While You Were Sleeping, I reckoned it was such a sweet story. Sandra Bullock’s wholesome features and her character’s nuances like bad hair day and shabby fashion sense made her relatable. Then there was the choice between the gorgeous brothers Callaghan. It’s a fantasy story line. However, it could happen, no matter how farfetched.

Another saccharine condiment that makes good viewing especially for impressionable women is Notting Hill. Seen after a different glimpse of living and upbringing of young overseas Filipino workers in Singapore, I just probably enjoy the sappy soundtrack. But the plot could occur or it would be beyond the vestige of reality. Yes, Julia Roberts could circulate amongst the earthlings, in this case, Notting Hill resident William. But Notting Hill is posh anyway. It’s not the council estates. It’s a place where the really loaded owns a property and Hugh Grant only plays reincarnations of public school boys in his movies, that posh accent could never fool anyone.

No comments: