Wednesday, January 12, 2011

those days

august 21, 2006

chores on grammar

Using the wrong tense never fails to creep through my work. Or the dangling modifiers. There is this crazy perplexity on prepositions. But the good side of this blog culture is that one can edit till eternity. We are not perfect. I make so many mistakes that it takes months before I can pinpoint blemishes in the flow of words. But I relish the editing as much as the writing. There’s this cozy comfort in making words more resplendent. And if several of my friends discover flaws in my so-called paragraphs, it’s kind of embarrassing. Nevertheless, I just keep my fingers crossed it wouldn’t be that bad or awful, that I could still make room for rectifications and amendments.

Women_in_loveTo help me harness the miscalculated sentences would be to catch up with my readings. In between filling up the washer and watching the Gilmore Girls marathon at Hallmark, I have to finish that long-forgotten Women in Love by DH Lawrence. Does that mean Bill Clinton have to wait, again? Maybe. Juggling Kafka, DH Lawrence and Bill Clinton, sprinkled with a touch of TS Eliot, would be somehow manageable. Or I would just ignore them altogether and drift off, get some grip with the thing called, the day job.

In the midst of programmed chores, the backlog of readings managed to accumulate. But the business agenda is the priority. With all the errands to run and things to do, flipping through Women in Love is not even on top of the list (image from amazon.com).

No comments: