Sunday, May 30, 2010

oyster, space

What Ekoto says is true. Players are mostly motivated by money. Players come and go, but the team stays, go into administration or disband altogether. A player’s career is short-lived. Forty is not that old yet most athletes retire in their thirties whilst professional golfers do not even retire at 50. After golf's main Tour there’s the Senior Tour. What’s next after retirement? Well, retirement per se. Hibernation. For other athletes, just not going through the Antoine Walker route would be a start.

I’m intrigued with the Oyster Card reference. In the Tube or any where else, my celebrity radar is very poor. I might be standing next to Ricky Gervais in Hampstead, I wouldn’t even know or bother. Or I could be sitting next to Ian McKellen in the Tube and still wouldn’t be able to detect it. You have your space, I have mine, it doesn’t really matter whether you were Gandalf in Lord of the Rings or Magneto in X-Men. I wouldn’t be able to decipher it’s you. I could bump into Gwyneth Paltrow dashing out of Starbuck’s while I'm rushing to go home after a hard day’s work and I would be oblivious to the Hollywood air of Mrs. Martin. The nice thing about living in London is the space. Every one has their thing, no one bothers with the buzz, even those included in the inner circle.

No comments: