Tuesday, January 13, 2015

lured to crafts




My mom's birthday was on the 9th of January. I would have loved to blog on that day but I was besieged by a colossal series of coughing (until now). It's the cold weather. I miss my mother. I miss her insights.

Surrounded by haberdashery and crafts growing up, my mother could crochet. I remember her projects i. e. bedspreads and table covers. She also loved to cross stitch. Cross stitch is not that hard but a finished craft needs commitment and framing. I miss her framed works in Bacolod. It seems we have to starve ourselves to be able to go home this year.

Now, about crochet. I've been trying to learn since I was nine. Of course, there were always other stuff to do, in the past 30 years. There wasn't a gargantuan push to pick up any kind of craft for the sake of relieving stress. Life and earning one's keep takes precedence. Then here we are, in this decade, this millenium.

I remember learning about crochet tension from Lola Cel (my mom's maternal aunts were uber cool but I'm biased). There was my mom during those wide-eyed existence but guiding me now in my journey through the stitches and patterns is youtube, a saving grace, a very helpful, handful device.

I chose crochet over knitting as the influential personalities of my childhood were into crochet, as I've said. My lolas were also into embroidery, I was in awe of their work as I grow up, all I did as a kid was stare into their delicate creations, that in addition to being talented seamstresses.

Actually, I thought about crochet when I saw the fascination with looms on celebrity instagrams. I just concurred that crochet is more useful. So far, I have no complaints.


No comments: