Sunday, July 10, 2011

"you should break up with your fake high school girlfriend"

My husband told me I wouldn't be able to get the references in Scott Pilgrim vs The World. Maybe that was partly true, I didn't particularly play computer games or immerse myself in comic books. I suck at Super Mario Brothers. I like staring at the characters of Street Fighter but actually play? I left that to the brothers.

Scott Pilgrim vs The World is an outside-the-box romcom. I don't think it's even remotely romantic or a comedy. But that's what written on the promotional slogans. It's a very young, very hip plot, with all the martial arts duels and sparkling special effects. Michael Cera though appears too dorky and not entirely believable in the title role. He could easily have been vanquished by one of the evil exes. But it's a quiver of whimsy, from jolly good old Hollywood.

Aside from Cera, all the others are playing younger. They are quite effective in their kick ass roles, performing their heart out in the battle of the bands, flying high in the fighting scenes. It is simply bursting in concept and creativity, not the usual boy meets girl.

No comments: