Tuesday, March 09, 2010

box eye nostalgia

Since the past week I’ve been travelling back in time of Dynasty, a very 80’s family soap and take a peek at the saga and shallow enterprise of the Carrington family. Set in Denver, the family deals in oil and lives in a mansion so enormous it almost resembles the palaces of royalty with all the trimmings and the loyal servants. They have caviar for snacks. Joan Collins as Alexis Carrington looks unbelievably young and glamorous. It’s the porcelain skin and the character’s condescension towards anybody not in her class. Whilst Krystle Carrington played by Linda Evans is the goody-goody second wife, boring and dull. Created and shown before the wide use of DNA, the plots are arrestingly vapid. The characters mostly wrestle about money, power and their delusions in their past and present. At the moment I’m tuning in for a few episodes until Fallon and Jeff are propelled to California via The Colby’s. I only saw glimpses of this show when I was a kid. It had a late Sunday evening timeslot and there was school the next day which was more exciting than any tv show. I’m still grateful for my Tita Two for the family tree explanation, there was no internet then and information about Hollywood programs are not conspicuous in the newsprints or magazines of the era. But over the years I still kind of kept track and some of the younger stars of the series took a beating with the essence of time. Joan Collins meanwhile beholds a youthful visage, I don’t think it’s merely cosmetic surgery.

No comments: