Wednesday, October 15, 2008

shredding the bits

on the prowl last night, i was snooping on my closest friends' online turfs. though i'm not the photograph seeking paradigm as i always gravitate towards words and scribbles posted in their pages, i was unlocking the unique chromosomes that made the chosen throng my confidantes. i got stumped. these are usually the kind souls i contact in case of emergency and i felt out of touch from their reality. but in bold letters, most of their profile entries were empty except for work and location. a favorite film or a favorite tv show may not define a person or indicate the wealth and breadth of knowledge. nonetheless it still left me lost and bewildered. what's the drive in an empty pastime configuration? these are not merely second degree friends, these are basically my clique, my posse, my kindred spirits. what are our cumulative quirks? perhaps not a lot, or nothing at all. however i may not discuss the frenzied bits of popular culture with the throng --- my fascination with history, the sounds of metallica, the role of the clinton democrats in the credit crunch, the crisis in mindanao, but they are always steadfast in their fulcrum of support. a text here and there, is huge. an e-mail is fantastic and a phone call is great, and talking about common acquaintances is an uplifting repartee.

No comments: