Wednesday, October 29, 2014

old movies, ok.

I couldn't find any shows on the telly to watch regularly unless you count endless repeats of Micky Mouse Clubhouse and Peppa Pig as mainstream tv. I know there are loads out there. I missed an entire season of The Great British Bake Off due to lack of time, energy and I'd rather sleep. I still feel I need more sleep especially in this weather.

But after 1900 hours or during those quiet downtime before bed, I've come across viewings of a few Pinoy classics (as I define the word) -- Working Girls (Bernal, 1984), 14 Going Steady (Gosiengfiao, 1984), Friends in Love (Garcia, 1983). All three films I've seen in real time. I was eight when Sharon, Rowell, William, Jackie showed the world the gorgeous and fascinating lives of young people to the manor born. In the movie they clearly have manners. They have nice clothes. They go to the school for the rich.

Just recently I've decided to relive the all too eloquent speech of Sandy (Sharon, again) to her parents in Forgive and Forget (Garcia, 1982). Or actually I just want to see Nida Blanca and Nestor De Villa dance that routine at the end. I mean, Wow! The stars of a bygone era were just simply marvelous. They could cry copious tears in dramatic moments and dance and sing like magic in the finale.





No comments: