Monday, January 12, 2009

kate's globes

kate winslet's twin triumphs at the golden globes were not exactly the shock surprises of pop culture. the greatest actress of her generation is bound to exhibit those coveted statuettes in one of her houses. she is in all magnificence, a gifted thespian, adorable in The Holiday, and even more excellent in her more serious and significant roles. but. there's a but, you ask? she's english, with a middle class upbringing in Reading, or even if she grew up in the estates, there's a not so secret code in the impropriety of showing emotions in public. stiff-upper lip is an attribute of the british people. it's remarkable that an english rose prevailed after a string of nominations, however she should have shown restraint in her acceptance speeches. i didn't write that. it was emblazoned in this headline and in this article and all other big and small papers printed in the UK. the daily mirror even came up with their top ten list of tottering oratories. as for my views, i have yet to learn proper articulation and decorum in my public elocutions, so i think the winslet rhetorics were absolutely splendid.

*Best Supporting Actress – The Reader

"OK, you have to forgive me because I have a habit of not winning things. [She puts award on the floor then picks it up]. No that doesn't feel right putting that down ... Penelope, Amy, Marissa and Viola. It is such an honour to be in your company ... Sorry this is going on a bit but I'm gonna make the most of it. I must also, I really must also thank our hair and make-up department ... Anthony Minghella and Sydney Pollack were producers on this film. They died while we were filming and they never got to see the finished product; I hope they would have been proud. My husband Sam for your incredible support ... I'm sorry I was so mental at the end. And my children Mia and Joe who are watching this on TV. Look, I won!"

*Best Actress – Revolutionary Road

"I'm so sorry Anne, Meryl, Kristin, and oh God, who's the other one? Angelina. Now, forgive me. Gather. This is really happening ... Thank you so much. You should wrap up. You have no idea how much I'm not wrapping up ... I want to thank the late great Richard Yates for writing this remarkable novel ... Leo, I'm so happy I can stand here and tell you how much I love you and how much I've loved you for 13 years. And your performance in this film is nothing short of spectacular‚ And my husband Sam. Thank you for directing this film, babe, and thank you for killing us every single day. It made me love you more."

No comments: