Monday, March 02, 2009

miscellany

after a backbreaking routinary house chore and my endless bouts with tension headaches, i'm settling in my sanctuary staring at the downloaded pages, typing away the fine print of paragraphs with long words indecipherable to souls who reside outside my inner circle. with the wonders of world wide web, i often wonder if during the decade of my adolescence, i would have been able to handle this very handy creation. there was hardly a computer when i was in school. there was no friendster, facebook or myspace during my obstreperous high school years as i was facing romantic rejections in the face. ditto with my university years, full of longing and anticipation for a whimsical crush. i would probably made an ass of myself if texts and e-mails were vital ingredients of our standard living. writing assignments, processing school projects are easier these days with innumerable information in a click. back in my long ago youth, we had to meander and brave the rain unto the cramp and shabby city public library with obsolete encyclopedias and decayed journals.

there were no cellphones either when i was growing up. our residence didn't even have a phoneline. we had to go to the neighbors. oh those dark, dark ages. we only had a phone connected when i was already in my twenties, when my key to happiness was to earn my keep and not the search for the absolute hunk.

the library, bookstore and museum are few of my favorite retreats from stress. whenever i'm in a new city, i always seek refuge in a place full of dusty tomes. people find that dorky, which is hardly helpful to the self-esteem. but when one adores the lore of art and history, it just makes sense to enjoy the sweet life. who cares what other people think?

No comments: